The SS Byron was a single screw steamer Built in Terrigal NSW in 1891 for Owner George Nicoll of Sydney. She was powered by a 2 cylinder compound steam engine manufactured by Gourlay Brothers in Dundee Scotland with a total power output of 22 horsepower. She was a timber hulled Collier 96 feet long with 1 deck and 2 masts. Her regular run was from Newcastle to Sydney. In 1896 she left Newcastle harbour laden with coal bound for Sydney when in heavy seas off Redhead she sprung a leak which the crew could not manage. They all abandoned ship and were picked up by a lifeboat dispatched from Newcastle. No blame was affixed to the master for the abandoning.
The wreck lies at a depth of 40mtrs off Redhead. For about 50metres in every direction around the wreckage is an extremely thick carpet of fortesque fish who shimmered as they moved.
The wreckage consists of a scotch boiler of about 2 mtr diameter which has a large hole in its top exposing the tubes inside, the engines have fallen over and are covered in a thick layer of fishing nets which dominate the wreck. The propeller lies about 5 metres away and one blade is sticking out of the sand by only a few inches.